As someone with dry and curly hair, I understand the struggle of looking for the perfect product lineup to keep my hair hydrated, soft, and frizz-free. Over the years, I have tried countless products, but one of my most game-changing discoveries has been using organic hair oil for dry and curly hair. Not only does it add much-needed moisture to my hair, but it also helps to define my curls and prevent breakage. However, with so many different types of hair oils on the market, it can be overwhelming to figure out which is best for you. In this blog post, I'll be sharing my tips and tricks for finding the best hair oil for dry and curly hair.
9 Reasons to Use Hair Oil to Treat Dry Hair
Using natural hair oil for dry and curly hair can be a game-changer. Not only does it provide hydration and nourishment, but it can also offer a range of other benefits. Here are some more reasons why incorporating a hair oil for dry hair into your hair care routine is worth considering:
- Deep Hydration – Hair oils for dry hair penetrate deep into the hair shaft, providing much-needed hydration to dry and damaged strands. This can help improve the overall health and appearance of your hair.
- Frizz Control – Hair oils for curly hair can help control frizz by smoothing the hair cuticle and preventing frizz causing moisture from entering the hair shaft. This is especially beneficial for dry, porous or curly hair, which is more prone to frizz.
- Heat Protection – Applying a hair oil before using heat styling tools can help protect your hair from damage. The oil provides a barrier between your hair and the heat, helping to prevent breakage and split ends.
- Improved Manageability – Dry and curly hair can be challenging, but organic hair oils can help make your hair more manageable. The oil adds weight and moisture to your hair, making it easier to detangle and style.
- Added Shine – Hair oils for dry hair can give your hair a beautiful, healthy-looking shine. This is especially beneficial for curly hair, which often looks dull and lackluster without proper hydration.
- Seals In Moisture – The best hair oils for dry hair create a protective barrier that seals in moisture and prevents it from escaping, which can help to keep your hair hydrated and healthy-looking.
- Reduces Static Electricity – Dry hair is prone to static electricity. Applying a hair oil for dry hair can help to stop static electricity and keep your hair looking smooth and sleek.
- Prevents Breakage – Curly hair is particularly prone to breakage due to its structure and tendency to become tangled. Hair oil for curly hair can help to nourish and strengthen the hair, reducing the risk of breakage and damage.
- Provides Nourishment – Hair oils are often formulated with nourishing ingredients like vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. These nutrients can help to nourish and strengthen your hair from the inside out, promoting healthier growth and overall hair health.
Why Do Most Hair Oils Contain Silicone?
Silicones are often found in hair oils for dry hair because they can smooth, tame, and add shine to hair. In addition, silicones coat the hair, which gives instant results.
If you have naturally straight hair or you want to go for that silky smooth look, you might benefit from using hair oil with silicone. Silicones can provide the shine and smoothness you desire without weighing down your hair. The Split Fix™ Hair Oil is an excellent example of a hair oil for dry hair containing silicones that helps reduce frizz, add shine and protect your hair from damage caused by styling tools. Split Fix™ Hair Oil is great for styling dry and brittle ends and for those who want a shiny, smooth look without being weighed down or greasy looking.
However, silicones can have downsides, especially for some hair types.
Why You Might Prefer a Silicone-Free Hair Oil
Silicone-based products can weigh down your hair and create a buildup on the hair shaft. This buildup can make it difficult for moisture and other nourishing ingredients to penetrate the hair and cause your hair to become less defined, limp and lifeless. Silicone-free hair oils, on the other hand, provide hydration and nourishment that doesn't create buildup. This can help curls maintain their shape and bounce while keeping them hydrated and healthy-looking. This is why most agree that the best hair oils for curls or very dry hair don't contain silicone.
Only silicone-free hair oil can be organic certified, so if that is an important criteria for you, make sure to check that the product doesn’t contain silicones. Read more about silicone-free hair products here.
How to Identify the Best Hair Oil for Dry Hair
Generally I always recommend choosing a hair oil without silicones or mineral oils for very dry, frizzy or curly hair types in need of a lot of moisture. Instead of silicones, here are some excellent ingredients to look for in a silicone-free hair oil for curly hair:
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride – This ingredient provides a natural alternative to silicones that softens the hair. It also makes silicone-free hair oils more lightweight by absorbing deeply into the cuticle rather than remaining on top.
- Coconut, Sunflower, Jojoba, Avocado, and Almond Oils – These plant-based oils provide plenty of hydration and nourishment to dry and curly hair. If you’re looking for the best hair oil for dry hair, make sure that the majority of the ingredients are natural oils like these.
- Shea Butter Esters – Esters are organic compounds formed by the reaction between an alcohol and a fatty acid. These esters are more lightweight than pure shea butter, which can be too heavy for some hair types.
I recommend Moisture Hero™ Hair Oil as the best silicone-free hair oil for dry and curly hair. Why is it the best hair oil for curly hair? Because it’s a lightweight, silicone-free hair oil formulated with organic ingredients that penetrate the hair shaft, giving hair a much-needed boost of hydration without weighing them down. This natural hair oil is formulated with nutrient-rich, organic oils, including avocado, coconut, jojoba, rosehip, and more. Its multi-use formula provides lightweight hydration without buildup for all hair types. It’s also a great hair oil for porous or frizzy hair.
Read more about how to choose the best products for curls here.
Natural Vs. Organic Hair Oil
Natural hair oil is made from naturally-derived ingredients. It is free from synthetic chemicals. Organic hair oils, on the other hand, use ingredients, some of which are from organic farming. Note that many hair oils claim to be natural even if they are not, as the claim is not regulated. To be certain that your hair oil is truly natural or organic, look for certificates, such as Cosmos.
Choosing between hair oils depends on personal preference and values. Cosmos certified hair oils are generally considered to be safer for the environment and better for your health, since they have to meet strict criteria. If you ask me, the best hair oils for dry hair are 100% natural and organic certified.
Products tailored for your hairTake test
3 Ways to Use a Natural Hair Oil
Here are some ways that you can incorporate a natural hair oil for dry hair into your hair care routine:
- Pre-Shampoo Treatment – A pre-shampoo treatment is a great way to provide your hair with a deep conditioning treatment that penetrates deeply into the hair cuticle and prevents shampoo from drying out your hair. First, apply the hair oil from the mid-lengths to the ends, focusing on the dry areas. Leave the oil in your hair for at least 30 minutes or overnight for a more intensive treatment. Then, wash your hair as usual with a gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Styling Aid – Hair oil can also be used as a styling aid to add shine, smoothness, and control to your hair. Simply apply a small amount of oil to your hair, focusing on the ends and areas that tend to frizz or fly away. You can use it on damp hair before styling or on dry hair to tame flyaways and add shine.
- Scalp Massage – You can also use silicone-free hair oil to give yourself a relaxing scalp massage, which can help to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and promote healthy hair growth. Apply a small amount of silicone-free hair oil to your fingertips and gently massage it into your scalp in circular motions. Use a light touch and avoid pulling or tugging on your hair. Leave the oil on your scalp for at least 30 minutes before washing your hair. Applying oil to the scalp might not suit everyone though. Read more about it below.
You can also use oils to nourish and moisturize a beard. For more info, check out “Best Beard Oils for Growth”
What About Applying Oil to the Scalp?
Hair oiling, which involves massaging oil directly into the roots and scalp, is a traditional Ayurvedic practice that has gained popularity recently. The idea behind this practice is that the organic hair oil can nourish and hydrate the scalp, leading to healthier hair growth. However, it is important to note that this method may only work for some.
While some people may benefit from hair oiling, others may experience scalp issues and irritation. Therefore, it's essential to be cautious when trying this method and test it in a small area to see if it works for your hair and scalp. If you give hair oiling a go, make sure to use a silicone-free oil that won’t cause buildup on your scalp. I recommend avoiding this practice altogether if you have dandruff, hair loss, or other scalp conditions.
Instead of applying the oil directly to the scalp and roots, I suggest using a specially formulated scalp serum, like the Grow Perfect™ Hair Growth Serum, to nourish the scalp. This serum is formulated with natural ingredients like biotin, caffeine, and Capixyl™, which can help to stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss. It's more lightweight, non-greasy, and easy to apply, making it an excellent alternative to hair oiling. (Hint: To learn more about hair growth serums, check out “Do Hair Growth Serums Really Work?”)
Tips and Tricks for Using a Hair Oil
- Figure out your hair type and needs to choose the best product for you. For most hair types, I recommend a multipurpose hair oil that can be used for styling, conditioning, and as a pre-shampoo treatment, like Moisture Hero™ Hair Oil. If you have curly hair, opt for a silicone-free hair oil for curls.
- Try different techniques. Some people find that applying hair oil to damp hair works best, while others prefer it as a pre-shampoo treatment. Experiment with varying application methods to find what works best for your hair.
- Reduce the amount you use. A little hair oil goes a long way, so start with just a drop or two and work your way up if you need more.
- Apply hair oil evenly. To avoid greasy-looking patches, apply hair oil evenly throughout your hair, focusing on the ends where your hair is most prone to dryness.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or brush. After applying hair oil, use a wide-toothed comb or brush to distribute the oil evenly through your hair.
- Don't apply hair oil to your scalp if you have dandruff or other conditions. As mentioned earlier, using natural hair oil directly on your scalp can benefit some people but also cause scalp issues and irritation. If you have dandruff or other scalp conditions, avoiding applying hair oil directly to your scalp is best.
- Experiment with mixing hair oil with other hair products. You can mix hair oil for dry hair with your conditioner or styling products to boost your hair's moisture and shine.
Remember, every head of hair is different, so it may take some trial and error to find the best way to use hair oil for your hair type and needs. But with some experimentation, you'll soon discover how this versatile product can help keep your hair healthy, hydrated, and looking its best.
Other Hydrating Hair Products for Dry and Curly Hair
In addition to incorporating a good hair oil for dry hair into your routine, other hydrating hair products can work wonders for dry or curly hair. Here are a few products you might want to consider adding to your hair care routine:
- Moisture Hero™ Pre-Shampoo Balm: This product is perfect for those with dry or curly hair who want to ensure their hair stays hydrated throughout the washing process. It is formulated with natural oils and butters that protect and nourish the hair before you even step into the shower.
- Split Fix™ Leave-in Conditioner: This leave-in conditioner is designed to help repair split ends and prevent further damage. It contains a blend of natural oils and extracts that strengthen and protect the hair, leaving it looking and feeling healthier. (Hint: learn more about why you should use a leave-in conditioner here).
- Moisture Hero™ Shampoo & Conditioner: If you're looking for a shampoo and conditioner to help keep your dry hair hydrated, these products are a great option. They are formulated with natural oils and butters that nourish and protect the hair while also helping to detangle and reduce frizz.
- Split Fix™ Shampoo & Conditioner: This shampoo and conditioner set is designed to help prevent split ends while nourishing and protecting the hair. The products contain a blend of natural oils and extracts that strengthen and hydrate the hair, leaving it looking and feeling healthy.
- Curl Crush™ Shampoo & Conditioner: If you have curly hair, this shampoo and conditioner set is a must-try. It's formulated to enhance and define curls, providing hydration and nourishment. In addition, the moisturizing formula reduces frizz and tangles. To learn more about treating curls, check out our article on the best products for curly hair.
In conclusion, hair oils can significantly improve your hair care routine. For those with especially dry, frizzy or curly hair, I recommend trying Moisture Hero™ Hair Oil. I recommend Split Fix™ Hair Oil if you're looking for a hair oil to prevent split ends and breakage and for a silky smooth feeling. Regardless of which hair oil you choose, use it as directed and experiment with different application methods to find the best results for your hair type and needs. You can achieve healthy, hydrated, and beautiful hair with patience and experimentation.