Our love of innovative and sustainable hair care has resulted in our products. Go on an adventure and maybe you'll fall in love too?
Your filter settings gave no results
What are natural hair care products?
First things first, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page. If you look up the word “natural” in the dictionary, it means “based on the state of things in nature”. If you want to transition to natural hair care products, you’ll want to use products that are formulated with natural (as opposed to artificial) ingredients.
As you’ll learn below, switching to an all-natural hair care routine can be one of the best ways to take care of your hair in both the short term and long term.
How do you switch to natural hair products?
- Stop relaxing your hair and using chemical treatments. The less you can use harsh chemicals on your hair, the better. While things like relaxers or perms may give you the look you want in the short term, they can lead to major damage in the long term. We’re talking breakage, split ends, frizziness, and in some cases, hair loss.
- Avoid using high heat on your hair. We get it, sometimes there’s just no avoiding the straightener or curling iron. But try to only use those for special occasions. And when you do use heat, don’t forget to use a heat protectant each time! This will help keep your hair healthy and prevent damage.
- Find a few basic go-to hairstyles to minimize breakage. Certain hairstyles, like tight braids and buns, can cause breakage and split ends. Instead, opt to wear your hair down, or switch to looser styles to keep your hair damage-free. What’s more, opt for soft hair rings for ponytails and braids, instead of harsh elastics that pull.
- Take inventory of your hair products. Make sure the products you choose are full of hair-loving ingredients. Look for natural hair products without harsh additives like sulfates and parabens. These can strip the hair of its natural oils over time, leading to scalp irritation and potential hair loss.
- Understand the role that each product will have in your regimen. When you understand how each product fits into your routine, it makes it easier to use them properly and get the results you want. Make sure to build a targeted hair care routine with a great shampoo and conditioner combo, as well as any other treatments for your hair’s specific needs.
Are natural hair care products for everyone?
Absolutely! When you use natural hair care products, you help your hair become the best version of itself. Instead of using products that strip away natural oils and cause damage or irritation over time, natural hair products help enhance – not mask – your hair’s natural beauty, color, and texture.
No matter what kind of hair you have, anyone can benefit from switching to an all-natural hair care routine.
Natural hair care products – the basics:
Understand the ingredients on the label
Before picking up a new product, make sure you understand the ingredients it’s formulated with. Understanding common key ingredients will help you choose the products that are best for your hair type and texture.
Keep your scalp (and hair) clean
Healthy hair starts at the scalp. The right natural hair care products will help gently cleanse the scalp without stripping away your hair’s natural moisture. This will in turn help keep your strands clean and healthy. And if your scalp needs a pick-me-up, scalp scrubs and treatments can help soothe irritation and prevent build-up.
Maintain a proper moisture/protein balance
Protein-moisture balance is when your hair texture has the proper level of hydration and strength to prevent breakage. Your hair needs the right mix of moisture and protein to stay strong and healthy, and the right natural hair product can help ensure your hair has the right amount of each element.
As well as a healthy scalp, you’ll want to pay close attention to your strands as well – especially your ends. The ends are where damage shows up first via split ends, so taking care to prevent them will help the rest of your hair stay healthy. Using natural hair products will protect your strands with every wash.
Eat a healthy diet
Ultimately, healthy hair isn’t based on the products you use alone. Along with using natural hair care products, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and eating a well-balanced diet is the best way to ensure healthy and happy hair.